|Recording Actions in SMART Notebook|
Did you know that you could record your actions in SMART Notebook in two different ways? There are several uses for recording your actions:
1. Save time - Who really wants to write out a math problem several different times in one day if you teach multiple sections of a class? If you had the solution recorded as a video, you could walk around the room as the video played and assist students.
2. Absentees - How many times per week do you get asked for copies of notes or extra help from students that were absent? Wouldn't it be great to have your lesson recorded so that you could provide absent students a link to the video that shows all of the things you did within your lesson?
3. Copies of Class Notes - With a heterogeneous class, there are often multiple students that need copies of class notes. If you had the notes recorded as a video, you could just post that video to a YouTube channel for anyone that needed the notes. It would save paper and also allow all students access, regardless of their IEP.
4. Support teachers - So often, we don't have time to cooperatively plan with all of a student's support teachers. If they could have access to our notes via video, it would answer many questions as to what was given out in class on a particular day and even how you prefer a student goes about solving a math problem.
5. Parent support - Many parents don't remember what they did in school, and often times, the teaching methods have changed since they were in school anyway. Having a video of what was done in class is an easy way for parents to offer a level of support at home without needing a ton of background knowledge. It is a resource they can use to review with their child as well.
Below is a slide presentation showing how to set up SMART notebook to record your actions. The presentation goes through 2 different methods
1. SMART Video Recorder to record anything on your screen (even outside of SMART Notebook if you wish) and save it as a video file that can be posted anywhere - YouTube, webpage, google classroom, etc.
2. Lesson Recorder which is an "Add-on" within SMART Notebook that allows you to record what happens on a page within Notebook and embeds the video on that particular page. This is a nice feature since you don't have to do any advance planning to record your actions in class. NOTE: this is not able to be exported and stays within your Notebook file. However, you could use the SMART Video Recorder to record while you play the videos on each page.